What to do prior to Closing on your Home
We’ve listed and sold your home!
Immediately upon knowing your closing date –
- Contact Movers
- Prior to putting your home on the market or while your home is on the market, contact moving companies to receive quotes.
- Once your home is under contract, contact the movers to schedule the date they will arrive to pack & move your items.
- Things to keep in mind:
- What is the cancellation policy should your contract fall through?
- When is your scheduled walk through on your home? If you’re the seller, your buyers will want to walk through the home prior to closing (either the night before or the morning of the closing). Your house will need to be free of movers & clutter and ready for the new buyers to move in.
- Where will you stay after your home is packed and ready to move?
- Create a List of people who will need your new address
- Update your Mailing Address at USPS.com
- Change your address with important service providers – Banks, Financial Institutions, Credit Card Companies, Magazine Subscriptions, etc.
- Check insurance coverage. The insurance your moving company provides will generally only cover the items they transport for you. Ensure you have coverage for any items you’ll be moving yourself
- Things to keep in mind:
Approximately 1 week before closing –
- Utilities – Schedule the day the utilities are to be turned on/off at your current / new location
- Duke Energy
- Phone Company
- Cable Company
- Garbage / Water – Public Works Company
- Gas company Progress Energy
- Pack an “Open First” box. Include items you’ll need most, such as toilet paper, soap, trash bags, chargers, box cutters, scissors, hammer, screwdriver, pens and paper, cups and plates, water, snacks, towels, and basic toiletries.
- DMV – After you move, you have 30 days to update your information with DMV. If you need to go into the DMV office, they do schedule appointments!
The Blondell team works hard to always do our best representing our buyers & sellers. When it’s time for you to close on your home, we ask you help us continue to ‘shine’ & ‘sparkle’ (literally). At the very minimum, let’s ensure your home is move-in ready for the new buyers by doing the following items. Many homeowners choose to hire a cleaning service to clean upon moving out as they are tired from packing.
Please have your home
- Broom Swept
- Wipe Down all Surfaces
- Empty all Drawers, Cabinets & Closets-be sure they are clean and wiped out
- Clean Oven / Microwave / Refrigerator
- Clean & Sweep Garage
- Remove all Garbage
- Have Carpets Professionally Cleaned
- Outside Area Free of any Debris
- Clean Outside Garbage & Recycling Containers
Prepare for Closing
- House Keys / Garage Door Remotes
- Alarm Information
- You will receive a copy of the Closing Statement 3 days prior to closing. You will need to review and sign so the closing can proceed.
- Bring your Driver’s License